Download the full document here: Overdose Prevention and Outreach Efforts During COVID-19
The Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) poses challenges to engaging with overdose survivors and their social networks, while maintaining the physical distance necessary to reduce the spread of the disease. This document provides recommendations and resources for Post Overdose Support Team (POST) programs continuing their outreach during COVID-19.
This document compiles approaches that many POST programs have implemented, and covers:
- Preparation and planning for outreach visits with team members
- Staff testing protocols for POST members
- Pre-visit work with survivors and their social networks
- Transportation to the site
- Engaging with clients, while protecting yourself and others
- Transporting clients
- Following up with clients
- Training on how to respond to an overdose during COVID-19
- Additional safety protocols and recommendations
- Team member emotional health
- Community emotional health
- Core COVID-19 resources for POST members
The primary audience for this document is POST team members, including public health partners, public safety partners, and other members of these outreach teams.
If you have any questions about any of the resources or live links included, or require any technical assistance, please reach out to the following POST Technical Assistance Center staff at EDC.
- Meghan Hynes, Training and Technical Assistance Provider, email@example.com
- Kate Lena, Training and Technical Assistance Provider, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Noreen Burke, POST TA Center facilitator email@example.com